How IN Child Support Obligations are Enforced

Your IN Child support obligations are ongoing payments typically made by a non-custodial parent to a custodial parent, guardian, or court following a divorce, or separation of partners. Divorce or separation can be an emotionally, physically, and psychologically draining process for everyone involved. This is even truer when there are children in the mix.

When partners split up one of the areas of focus is child custody and these cases often involves the support the custodial parent may receive. Whether you are dealing with the dissolution of a relationship or have a child with someone with whom you were never in a relationship, it is both parties responsibility that the child is taken care of.

Most states have an equation that automatically determines the amount, if any, that the paying parent must pay. This equation is based on the time that the child spends with each parent, the income level of each parent or earning potential of each parent, among other factors.

If the paying parent doesn’t keep current on their required payments the state usually has some recourse that it will impose in order to ‘encourage” the paying parent to continue. These actions can include

  • Initiating contempt proceedings
  • Obtaining an income withholding order to automatically withhold support from wages
  • Withholding state or federal tax returns or lottery winnings
  • Suspension of driver’s license, fish, trapping, or game licenses, professional or vocational licenses etc. until arrears in paid in full
  • Criminal charges
  • Interest up to 1.5% being charged on top of scheduled payment amounts
  • Asking a judge to sign a judgement against past due payments which may severely damage the paying parent’s credit score and enables the government to take action to collect.

The prosecutor’s office in your county may use any or all of these measures to enforce IN child support obligations and payments, but they often have a backlog of cases to address so it may be more beneficial for the receiving parent to hire a private attorney to go to court and argue the case on your behalf.

If you are a paying parent, don’t make the mistake of letting yourself get behind on your IN child support obligations. You may also be able to hire an attorney for advice on how to reduce your payments or enter into a payment plan to catch up on your arrears.

Office Hours
9 A.M. - 5 P.M.